The Lode Theater, on Shelden Avenue in downtown Houghton, was one of two movie houses operated by the UP Theaters mini-chain. The other was the Pic Theater located in Hancock, MI. In 2008 they were operated by Rogers Cinema chain. The Lode Theater, originally opened around 1940 as a single-auditorium theater, today has three screens.
The Lode Theatre underwent a remodeling in 2006, including new rocking chair seating, updated sound system and a new snack bar. It was closed in December 2010.