Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Rick Miracle
Whittemore Speedway started racing operations in 1948 when a traveling carnival was unable to make to town. The men from the local fire department got together and decided to have car races for entertainment. A 4/10ths mile track was laid out using tires to mark the turns. A couple of furrows were cut across the track to slow the cars down and racing began. A yellow blouse with the price tag still on it was used as the first yellow flag!
The men that started the track became founding members of a non-profit race club that still owns and operates the track today. In 1951 the track was redesigned to its present shape and size of a quarter mile and banked starting at 12 degrees on the bottom groove. The track was paved with asphalt in 1988. The track has raced on Saturday continuously since 1948 and is known as "Michigans Oldest Speedway."
The track is a modern facility with aluminum bleachers that seat approximately 1500, a walk-in concession stand that was built in 2003, heated modern restrooms, concrete walkways and a completely paved pit area. The track is located on M-65 in the village of Whittemore.