Source: Terry & Olive Lytle - Founders/Directors 2004
it started in 1950. The capacity was 700 people which we had in the 1970s (had to rent side fields). The pics are beautiful and you did a great job of doing this. We have never closed even then in 1965 several tornadoes destroyed the facility. My Dad was killed in the church just up the road from the Dr. In. The attendances now range from 150-200 on Saturdays (mid season) to 250+ on Sundays .Our greatest attendances are on Sundays. We send out over 100 news releases to churches, radios, and newspapers such as the Toledo Blade, Jackson (MI) Citizen Patriot, Adrian (MI) Telegram, Morenci (MI) Observer all are just a few of the papers carrying our N.R.s. Again thanks for your coverage. We do not charge until Labor Day weekend. Terry and Olive Lytle (It was a cornfield before we were given permission by the friend who owned the acreage to bull doze it into ramps. We use FM radio 89.1 coverage. Only within 100 yards each direction from the entrance and on the field.
Drive-In Church - AKA Michigan Drive-In.
In 1952, the Devils Lake Drive-In, constructed by Drive-In Ministries, dedicated its showings to family-and faith-themed movies. The drive-in was rebuilt in 1965 after taking a direct hit by one of the infamous Palm Sunday tornadoes.
After the closing of the Lenawee Twin site in 1989-90, the Devils Lake Drive-In became the last operating one in the county. It would thrive for 18 more years.
In 2008, the Devils Lake Drive-In was set to open for the summer, but its owners, Terry and Olive Lytle, both died earlier that year. Terry died in Florida April 1 after a short illness. Olive prepared to open the drive-in and the summer schedule was printed and distributed, but she died May 21 while preparing the property for the season. As their surviving families lived out of state, the decision was made to shutter the property. The ticket booth and screen building still stand in 2020, an abandoned reminder of an era that, for now, is resigned to Lenawee County’s past chapters. [Dan Cherry - Lenawee County historian]