The Springmill Drive-In opened on June 17, 1950 featuring “The Gal Who Took the West” with Yvonne DeCarlo, Charles Coburn, Scott Brady and John Russell. Also featured was the short “The Uninvited Bride” with Leon Errol and “Kangaroo Kid” a cartoon. The Springmill Drive-In was opened/built by Charles M. & William Mosser dba Fremont Drive-In Theatres, and had a capacity for 620 cars. They also owned the Fremont Drive-In located in Fremont, OH at this time. They also owned the Fremont Construction Co. which built both drive-in’s William & Charles M. Mosser acquired the construction company and other business interests in 1948 from their late-father Louis.
In 1970 Charles M. Mosser sold the construction company. In 1971, Charles M. Mosser, who was president of the Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc. died from cancer. His daughter Janet Sweeney took control of the Fremont Drive-In Theatres Inc. Co-Operative Theatres was the booking and buying agency for the theatre in the beginning. Later on, the theatre was part of the Jack Armstrong Circuit and Robert Tilton Associates.
In 1982, it was taken over by Great Eastern Theatre Co. On November 11, 1985, they bought it from Janet Sweeney and Fremont Theatres Inc. In 2008 a second screen was added to the parking field which can accommodate 150 cars.
Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.