From Cinema Treasures
The Regent Theater was opened in 1916, seating 1,100 with a balcony, and originally operated as a live theater, although vaudeville and movies were also presented. The theater was later remodeled in an Art Deco style, including a new facade and marquee. In 1939, it was the first theater in the area to screen “Gone With the Wind”. By the early-1940’s, it was operated by Paramount Pictures through their subsidiary W.S. Butterfield Theaters Inc. The Regent Theater was demolished in 1972, along with many other historic buildings in downtown Muskegon to construct the Muskegon Mall, which itself was torn down in 2003.