Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
In its May 18, 1916 edition, The Iron Mountain Press announced that August E. Brauns was to erect “a theatre second to none north of Milwaukee” on the property opposite the city hall building on East Ludington Street, then occupied by two frame buildings and known as the Farmers’ Hotel. Brauns purchased the property, having frontage on East Ludington Street of 60 feet and a depth of 75 feet which extended to the alley, from the Commercial Bank during the week. There was also an alley on the west side. The proposed theatre building was to cover the entire property with the main entrance on Ludington Street and exits on the side and rear alleys.
Architect Charlton, of Marquette, was commissioned to draft the plans for the theatre with instructions to design “a house second to none in the Upper Peninsula,” containing “everything modern and up-to-date in accordance with the state’s sanitary and safety laws.” [William J. Cummings - he has much more on the history of Dickson County - Google him]