Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
AKA: Palms-State, Palms, State Historic Site
From Cinema Treasures
Now one of the best theatres in Detroit for concerts, the former 3,500-seat Palms Theatre (later State Theatre) still pays tribute to its glorious movie palace past by showing classic films during the summer. The theatre is located half a block from the Fox Theatre. It opened as the Palms Theatre for Kunsky-Loew’s Theatres on October 29, 1925, it was built on the site of the (first) Grand Circus Theatre (1913-1924). It was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre organ. Renamed State Theatre, on June 18, 1928 it screened its first ‘talkie’:“Glorious Betsy” starring Dolores Costello & Conrad Nagel.
On May 22, 1937 it was renamed Palms-State Theatre. Later operated by United Detroit Theatres it was renamed State Theatre again. It was closed as a movie theatre in 1983. After several years laying empty, it became Clubland, a dance club/concert hall from September 28, 1989.
The State Theatre was taken over by Live Nation and in 2007 was re-named The Fillmore. It was restored in 2018, reopening in October 2018.