Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
AKA: Ferndale, Studio North
Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened in 1921 as the Ferndale, this 425-seat theater was renamed the Studio North in 1961. Not long after it switched its name, it also switched to adult films. For years, its owners, the city of Ferndale and Oakland County were involved in legal battles, over charges of prostitution as well as various other charges, and in 1989, the city of Ferndale finally succeded in shutting the Studio North down. In 1991, after an extensive renovation, which also reduced the theater's seating to 300, it reopened as the Magic Bag Theatre, which features concerts as well as "brew 'n' view"-style movie screenings.