From Michigan Place Names
Gladwin County: the Estey, Calkins & Oliver Lumber Mill was built here by 1891. Estey school was organized in 1891; Lafayette Denton became the first postmaster on March 5, 1894; but the village was discontinued in 1920 and again became a part of the township of Bentley, named for storekeeper and first (1892) supervisor, Murray Bentley [Ritchie; PO Archives)
Estey is an unincorporated community within the township at 43°52′12″N 84°12′20″W. It was formed around a lumber mill in 1891. For a time, it was an incorporated village but was disincorporated in 1920.