Ramona Gardens, known to most as the skating rink, was built in 1912 as a dance hall. The building was described by the newspaper as a “whale” because of the round roof — quite a novelty at that time. Nine steel arches rose up 36 feet from the floor. The dance floor was built on furring strips over a subfloor, which gave it an unusual springiness and resiliency that was popular with dancers. Two inches of seaweed was packed between the floors as a water barrier. In 1942, Henry Nieboer leased the building, installed a new floor, and opened the building for roller skating. When the park was torn down in 1955, this building was dismantled and carted to a new location at Oak Industrial and Plymouth. It operated as a skating rink for a time, then became a venue for musical performances popular with teens.