Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
In 1956 three Iron Mountain businessmen, Eugene Carollo, Albert Carollo, and James Goulette had an idea for an attraction that would give people a view of iron mining as it once existed. On the site of the East Vulcan mine Eugene Carollo re-discovered an exploratory tunnel, which had not been used since the late 1800's.
The mining equipment was renovated and installed on several locations to show the early methods of mining. 2 buildings were constructed, and admissions building and gift shop as well as museum showing the machinery. Big John, a 40 ft giant replica of a miner, was positioned in the parking lot. Walking tours began in 1958 and a train was added in 1965.
The tours venture 2600 feet down into the "Big Stope", a huge man-made underground cavity. As of 2022 the attraction remains popular with visitors from all over. The mine operates on a seasonal basis from Memorial day to Oct 15th.