Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
From Tom Jones
This park was on the Grand River, bordered on the east by the Lansing Boat Club which is now the site of a high end subdivision. It operated between 1884 and 1917. There appears to be some metal posts in the ground on the site that may be remnants of the old park.
Typical of that era, the park was accessible via trolley which connected to downtown Lansing. There were also steamboats along the river that provided transport to the park with one dock being located on Logan Street (now MLK). The park was also known as Leadley's Park. There was a large pavilion, also typical of the parks of that time. And of course a boathouse.
More info is available in the book "Old Lansing Town" edited by Hazel Proctor.
The New Resort Leadley’s Park will be opened to the public July 4 A Pen Picture of the Place cannot Reflect its Beauties—A Resort Equal to Any in the State. E. C. Beecher, the wide-awake superintendent of Leadley’s park, yesterday afternoon hooked up his team of spanking bays and gathering up representatives of the leading newspapers of the city, gave them a lively spin over to the park, where a thorough inspection of grounds and buildings was made.
For seven years Mr. Leadley, the proprietor has been improving this spot, during which time he has visited nearly every summer resort of any prominence in the country, with a view to completing and giving to the citizens as handsome and commodious a place for recreation as any city in the country can boast of. That he has been eminently successful in his undertaking, a single glance at the handsome resort that will be opened to the public next Monday is sufficient to convince the most skeptical.
To give a pen picture of this resort that would be in keeping with the place itself is an impossibility in the small space which can be devoted to the subject, so the Republic will but briefly outline a few of the main points. On entering the grounds after a thirty minutes’ drive through as fine a county as lays outdoors, the visitor is struck with amazement at the wonderful change that has been wrought in the past few months. To the right of the entrance, approached by a broad drive through b road-branched maples, is seen the hotel, a magnificent three-story structure, with wide piazzas and broad porches, that has been built and arranged after the most modern plans and with every convenience for the expected guests.