Source: Cinema Treasures
Built for the United Detroit Theaters chain in 1942, the nearly-1500 seat Mel cost over $250,000 to erect and was designed in Streamline Moderne style. The Mel contained a small stage which was often used for graduation ceremonies for Melvindale High School students and other community events through the 60s. In the 70s, much to the dismay and anger of Melvindale residents, the Mel switched over to adult films, eventually being forced to close by the city in 1988. A month later, the Mel was demolished, and a shopping center now stands on the site.