Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
From the Historical Marker Page
The Eagle Block, built in 1867, housed five storefronts and a millinery. In April 1870, the Eagle Opera House opened on its third floor with "The Naiad Queen" operetta. The theater hosted a variety of live shows through 1903. That year, on December 30, a fire at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago took more than six hundred lives. In response, local inspectors evaluated Marshall's public building. The common council voted to close the Eagle Opera House in January 1904, citing its third-floor location and lack of fire escapes.