This earlier version of the Oxford Theater was destroyed by fire in 1972 and replaced by what is now the Oxford 7 multiplex. Per Ron Tripp, the original Oxford Theatre was built circa 1880 as The Oxford Opera House. Per Ken Martin, The words "Opera House" can be seen about 12 feet above the Marquee. The fire that took the movie theater also took the fire station next door on the right and eventually the larger building on the left. The current Oxford Cinema 7 is in the location of those three buildings.