The Star Vaudette Theater was the first silent movie theater in Belding. Silent films were popular from 1894 to 1929, when they were replaced by talking pictures. The theater was located at 301 West Main Street on the southwest corner. The owner of the theater was Eugene R. Warner. In 1919 it was sold, and the name was changed to the Empress Theater. Hughes, Cindy M. Hughes. Belding (Images of America) (pp. 100-101). Arcadia Publishing Inc.