Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Initially planned to be built on the site of the old Whitney Theatre, the Campus' site was eventually moved to what was felt to be a more centrally located spot on South University Avenue. The Campus, which opened in 1957, has the distinction of being the only Detroit-area movie theater built in the 50s. The Campus' building not only contained the 1,054-seat theater itself, but retail stores and office space, as well.
It had one of the largest screens in Ann Arbor, measuring 40' by 18'. It was operated by the Detroit-based Butterfield Theatres circuit and was designed by Louis Wiltse. In the early 80s, it was acquired by Kerasotes Theatres, which ran the Campus until it closed in 1987, the last film on its marquee being "King Kong Lives". Despite talk of the theater perhaps being reopened as an art house, nothing ever came to fruition, and the Campus was torn down within a year, replaced by a strip mall.