Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
From Cinema Treasures
Opened on March 18, 1942 with Dorothy Lamour in “The Fleet’s In”. The 1,773-seat State Theatre was operated by Butterfield Michigan Theaters Co. a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures Inc. In 1977 Butterfield divided the theatre into four screens. In 1987 it was sold to a new owner who converted the main floor into retail use and the former balcony was mothballed. In 1992 the balcony was reopened as a twin screen theatre. The State Theatre has had a tough time staying open over the years. It seems to have finally found its groove as a twinned art house theatre for the college community of Ann Arbor. In 2016 it was closed for renovations and reopened in December 2017 as a four screen theatre.