Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
The Pastime Theatre launched here in 1926. It then added sound to remain viable. At its ten-year mark, the Thumb Theatres Circuit owned by C. Harold Shuckert gave the venue a streamline moderne makeover renaming it as the Cass Theatre in 1936. That structure was completely gutted by fire on November 29, 1939 with the structure in place.
The theatre was rebuilt using its existing walls. Bathed in blue carpeting and blue and orange seating by Irwin Seating, the theatre reopened on March 1, 1940 with walls covered in Nu-Wall wood paneling. The opening features were Jackie Cooper in “Seventeen” and Andy Devine in “Mutiny on the Blackhawk.” The grand opening marquee can be seen in the photo section. [Cinema Treasures - dallasmovietheaters]