Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
The Kent Theatre began its life as the Hubbard Opera House in downtown Cedar Springs, Michigan. The building was constructed in the late 1880’s and was the sight of various community functions as well as traveling shows and other forms of entertainment.
It became a movie theater in the 1920’s and was known as the Emprise Theater. Early in the 1930’s, local businessman Morris Frank purchased it, added a new brick facade and neon-lighted marquee, upgraded the projection equipment and changed the name to the Kent Theatre.
The Kent closed its doors in the mid-1970’s when then-owners John and Charlotte Rogalewski made the decision that the business was losing ground to the newer, more modern cinaplexes in Grand Rapids.
The Kent Theatre will soon start showing classic movies again, visit our website and watch us grow! [Jeff Romanowski]