The Palace Theatre was built in 1917 for the Butterfield Theaters chain. It seated 1,348. This theatre and the Capitol Theatre just two blocks South were the two first run movie theaters in Flint. The Palace Theater went through a renovation in 1950 both inside and outside to the plans of C. Howard Crane & Associates. The renovation removed the previous ornate design and replaced it with Art Deco style decorations.
It closed in 1976 to make way for the University of Michigan-Flint campus. It was demolished in 1977. There was a plea to save the theatre building itself but it was determined that it would be too costly to save the 60 year old building. [Chuck Van Bibber via Cinema Treasures]