Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Doug Taylor
The Park Theater, built about 1932 and also known as the North Park, ended movie operations in the mid-1950's. For many years its location was given in newspaper ads as “2 blocks north of the Soldiers' Home. ” As a theater, it had a small 2-line marquee and a rather standard dark brown and cream trim. Entrance to the theater was in the right half of the building as seen in the photo, with the lobby running straight along the east side of the building; patrons turned left and went into the auditorium facing west.
Llewellyn (Lew) M. and Maude G. Struik, brother and sister, of 728 Fountain N. E. , were the owners and operators of the theater. It was converted into two store spaces with apartments overhead. Its legal description is: the E80' of Lot 46 & the E80' of the S30' of Lot 45, North Park Place Addition. In 1972 the owners were M/M John Bursma of O-11621 Eighth Avenue (phone 677-1032), who were selling to retire. The asking price was $49,500, although the assessed valuation was only $12,500.
At that time a laundromat and a restaurant occupied the building, and there was a new roof. Heat was gas, with forced air. There were toilets and lavatories, off-street parking, and a small garage. Doug Fricano and Fricano's Pizza occupied the east half of the structure from November 18, 1996, until bought out by Giuseppe's Pizza in August, 2006. (Information provided by Father Dennis Morrow).