Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Esquire, a large Art Deco style neighborhood house built for the Wisper & Wetsman chain in 1938, it was designed by Kenneth S. Frazier. Seating around 1000, the Esquire served as a first-run theater for much of the time it operated, until it was acquired by P & R Theater Company in 1980, and switched to second-run features.
P & R also installed 14 video games in the lobby, which caused the city of Grosse Pointe Park to pass a law that theaters could only have a limit of five video games in their lobbies. Causing another bit of controversy in 1982, P & R screened the notorious adult film "Debbie Does Dallas". A year later, Eric and Ervin Steiner purchased the Esquire not long after it was closed by P & R.
The Steiner brothers divided the Esquire into four small auditoriums, returning to first-run films. In 1988, the city closed the Esquire down and took possession of it, claiming that the theater had become a magnet for illegal activities. It was demolished in 1990.