From Michigan Place Names
Richard Wrigglesworth and his son Frank built a grain elevator here when the A.A. Railroad came through in 1886. The P.O. opened under the name EAST COHOCTAH in 1887, changed to Cohoctah in 1908. The name is probably a misspelling of Cohocton, the name of a river in NY, linked by ethnologist Lewis Morgan with a Tuscarora Indian word meaning "log in the water."