Elba is an unincorporated community in the township at 43°02′11″N 83°26′24″W. The first white settlers were Hozial Howland and his son Ira, who moved there from Rhode Island in 1835. The township was organized in 1838. The community of Elba was founded in 1871. A post office opened on December 26, 1871, with John Winship as the first postmaster. The office closed on September 30, 1941. Elba was a station on the Grand Trunk Western Railroad.