Source: Jack C Crofoot Jr
In 1864, R. W. Surby opened an Amusement Park on the north end of Goguac Lake. He owned the amusement Park until 1894. Eventually the name of the park was changed to Liberty Park because of its popularity with the Soldiers at Camp Custer during WWI. It became known as Lakeview Park in 1927 when it reopened after a 4-year closure due to contract disputes with vendors. The Park was located at the northern most portion of Goguac Lake, where Bayview Apartments are located today.
The Trolley Service to the Lake started in 1888 and an Electric Street Line opened in 1891. J. L. Foster granted right-of-way to the Trolley Line, through his large Lakeview Farm at that time. Lakeview was sparely populated and very rural at that time. Liberty Park had a Merry-go-Round, miniature train rides, Ferris Wheel, Rollercoaster, Two Bath Houses, Public Bathing (Swimming) and you could rent wool bathing suits, Water Slide into Goguac Lake, Dance Hall-Pavilion, Occasionally a Trapeze Artist performing from the bottom of a Hot Air Balloon, Roller Skating, Wresting-Boxing Arena with seating for 1,500 (later expanded to 3,000 seats), a Midway with several gaming attractions, Athletic Park, Horseshoe tossing, Boat and Canoe Rental, Steam Paddle Boat rides, Vaudeville Acts, and a Cabaret.
There was also a Cottage Rental development located near the Park. The Men’s Athletic Club was located across Columbia where Highland Jr. HS later stood. The Depression of 1929 began the decline of Liberty Park until it completely closed in 1932 making way for housing development.