Source: Cinema Treasures
The Martha Washington was built in 1915 for Florence Wilson Singer. In a style befitting its name, the theater was designed in a Colonial-Revival style, and sat between 1000 and 1700. About 1920, the theater was sold to Butterfield Theatres, which continued to operate the theater until 1971. That year, the theater's new owners twinned the auditorium, and began screening adult fare under the name Art 1 & 2. The theater was still operating as an adult film house into the early 90s, when it finally closed.