Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Sears Shopping Center, later Lincoln Park Shopping Center, has seen better days. It goes back to 1957. It was anchored by a Sears and there were many other stores. Like many local and regional shopping centers, some of the stores began closing. The structures still stand but most of the place is closed down as of 2023.
Great photos from Dead and Dying Retail Web Site
Lincoln Park Shopping Center (also referred to as Sears Shopping Center) was a shopping center located at the corner of Southfield Road and Dix Highway, mostly in Lincoln Park, Michigan, though a portion containing a former Farmer Jack supermarket and a former Wendy's restaurant (now a Del Taco location) lay in neighboring Allen Park. Anchored by Sears and completed by 1957, it was one of the first large-scale strip complexes in the Downriver Detroit suburbs prior to the 1970 opening of Southland Center.
After Fairlane Green opened in Allen Park in 2005, the Lincoln Park Shopping Center would lose many of its tenants to the newer complex, while losing others to retailer bankruptcies during the Great Recession and the retail apocalypse, which culminated in Sears' closure in 2019.
The city of Lincoln Park already had a large-scale strip development within its boundaries, Lincoln Park Plaza, which opened in 1955 at Fort Street and Emmons Boulevard. However, it was the Lincoln Park Shopping Center that prominently placed Lincoln Park in a position of serving the community for many years to come.
Construction began in 1955 and the first store, Sears, opened in 1956. This was followed shortly thereafter by a Kroger supermarket. In early 1957, the strip mall itself held its official grand opening with a parade of elephants on Dix Highway. Among other original tenants were a Kresge dime store and a Cunningham drug store.
In 1958, WXYZ radio erected a remote broadcasting booth along Dix Highway. During the 1960s, the center's Sears store was cited as the chain's highest-grossing store, so much to the point that an addition to the store's Auto Center would be built. Up until closure, the Lincoln Park Shopping Center location was one of the largest stores in the Sears chain.
In 1965, Harold Stulberg became the manager of the Lincoln Park Shopping Center and between 1983 and 1995 embarked on a multi-year renovation project, based on customer surveys taken in 1980, which resulted in Dunham's Sports, Pier 1 Imports, Winkelman's ladies apparel, So-Fro Fabrics and Harmony House, the latter displacing a Big Boy restaurant that moved to a separate building along Dix Highway, all opening stores in the center. This included a major expansion in 1988, which saw the openings of the Jack Loeks Star Theatres Lincoln Park 8 movie theater in May and of F&M Distributors on August 1. By this point, Kroger had already moved to a newer store further south on Dix Highway, which would be replaced by other supermarkets beginning after a union strike in 1984 prompted Kroger to close many of their Michigan locations. By 1997, Kroger would return to the vicinity by opening the current store across Southfield Road.