Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened in 1950, as a single-screener, with a colossal, late Streamline-style screen, the Ford-Wyoming could originally accomodate around 750 cars. It also once advertised a kiddie playground and boat rides for children. The drive-in was acquired by Wayne Amusements in 1981, and by 1990, and grown to five screens. Another four screens were built during the early 90s.
Today, the still-very popular drive-in is the largest in the United States, parking-wise, with space for over 3000 cars. (The largest drive-in screen-wise is the Thunderbird in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with 13 screens). The Ford-Wyoming is open year-round, a rarity for drive-ins, and supplies car heaters along with speakers during the winter season.
Purchased by Charles Shafer in 1981, the single-screen Ford-Wyoming eventually grew to five screens, and four more at the adjacent Ford-Wyoming 6-9 on Wyoming Rd. In the early 1990s, two other Wayne Amusements drive-ins, the Wayne, and the Algiers gave up their six screens to the growing Ford-Wyoming. Open Year-round, the Ford-Wyoming runs movies all-night long, convenient for nearby Chrysler plant workers.