From Cinema Treasures
Listed as being located in Fraser, to the north of Detroit, MI. The Gratiot Drive-In was designed by architect Ted Rogvoy and opened April 30, 1948 with Leon Errol and Joe Kirkwood Jr. in “Joe Palooka in the Knockout”. It featured “Free pony rides, merry-go-round and other playground amusements for the kids, a large restaurant that even warmed baby bottles on schedule for patrons”.
The back of the 115 feet tall screen tower featured a living curtain waterfall, illuminated at night by colored lights to simulate Niagara Falls. Car capacity is given as 1,056. A second screen was added on November 2, 1979. The Gratiot Drive-In showed its last movie on Labor Day of 1984. It was demolished shortly afterwards.
Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.