Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
The old Sharolyn Motel & Restaurant goes back to 1954. The original configuration was a 14 unit single wing motel with a restaurant at one end. It was built by Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Featherstone. By 1966, Mr. and Mrs. Merlin Armstrong took over. In 1972, Mr. and Mrs. Philip Tormohlen purchased the motel from the Armstrongs. By 1975, a second wing had been added to the other side of the restaurant to increase room capacity. The motel was operated in the 1990's by Wayne and Sue Trumbley. By 2005, the extra wing of rooms was demolished so it was back to its original setup.
The Sharolyn Motel was dissolved as a company in 2002. However, it must have operated under a different name for a while. It was mentioned in the 2014 article announcing the opening of the Rustic Grill that the motel had closed in 2008. The Rustic Grill lasted until sometime in 2015. As of 2022, Lake Superior Academy, which is a Montessori public school, is occupying the lot. They are using part of the old motel/restaurant structure. Both wings of the old motel were demolished.
By the way, the now demolished Sunset Motel was across the street. The very old Holiday Inn was a few hundred feet down the road also.