Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Detroit Institute of Arts, which opened in 1927, the 1150-seat Film Theatre, designed in elegant Renaissance style, has been screening classic, foreign and independent features for 28 years now. The auditorium's original layout was at least in part by C. Howard Crane, though the final design went to Paul Phillipe Cret after Albert Kahn, a trustee at the DIA, turned down an offer to design the theater.
Kahn was ultimately not pleased with several features of Cret's auditorium, however, once it was completed. The theater's color scheme is ivory, gold and red. Dolby sound was added in 1979, and in 1987, a nearly half million dollar restoration restored some of the theater's original glory, though today is undergoing another renovation, along with the rest of the DIA, which is to last until 2005. However, the Film Theatre is remaining open. A cafe operates today on the balcony level, in the Crystal Gallery, before and after the feature.