Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Located in the Redford Charter Township section to the northwest of Detroit, MI. The Redford Theatre was opened by the Kunsky Theatres chain on January 27, 1928. The auditorium is in an Atmospheric style to resemble a Japanese outdoor garden theatre. It originally had a seating capacity of 2,051. It is equipped with a Barton 3 manual, 10 ranks organ. It was purchased by the Goldberg family in 1931 as part of their Community Theaters circuit.
The Motor City chapter of the American Theatre Organ Society took over operation of the Redford Theatre in 1974, and purchased the building in 1977. Since that time the all volunteer staff has run it as a classic films/rental/stage show/organ concert venue. Much of the original Japanese Atmospheric style décor was altered during World War II, and the MCTOS have been working for many years to re-create what was lost.
Recently the theatre has a new computerized light board and new historically accurate seats. Restoration is continuing as funds and time permit. The classic film series shows a different film every other weekend, plus music played on the Barton organ. [Cinema Treasures]