Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
AKA: Cass, Summit Cinerama, Pandora - Special thanks to John Lauter for pics and information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
In 1927, the Cass opened as a legitimate theater designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp who designed a great number of New York City's Broadway theaters. In 1965, it was renamed the Summit as Detroit's second Cinerama house after the Music Hall. It also received a complete facelift by Drew Eberson, son of John Eberson, who designed Detroit's (now demolished) Grand Riviera Theatre.
However, unlike the Music Hall's policy of a Cinerama-only program, the Summit also featured 35mm features as well, such as a long run of "Darling" in 1965 (the same year it screened such Cinerama hits as "Circus World" and "Battle of the Bulge"). After just a couple of years, the Summit dropped Cinerama, and became one of the first major downtown houses to switch to pornographic features. It closed in 1971. Not long after that, it reopened once again, this time called the Pandora, screening Greek-language films, as well as the occasional 70mm re-release. By the mid-70s, it was shuttered again, and was demolished in 1977.