Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
A Suburban Detroit theater, the 1200-seat Eastland opened in 1969 and was originally designed by Ted Rogvoy, the architect who earlier designed such Detroit-area treasures as the now-lost Mercury in Detroit, the State-Wayne in Wayne, and the Terrace in Livonia. In 1975, it was twinned as the Eastland 1 & 2, with one of the auditoriums screening 70mm features.
In 1985, just as Suburban Detroit was selling the Eastland 1 & 2 to the AMC chain, it opened five more screens at the Eastland Mall, the Eastland 3-7. AMC remodeled both theater buildings in 1987, which included reducing seating to around 450 in each of the twin's auditoriums. The Eastland 3-7 was renamed the AMC Eastland Mall 5.
Though both the 1 & 2 and Eastland Mall theaters were part of the AMC chain, the two were effectively two separate theaters, causing a bit of confusion as to which movie was playing at which location. In 2000, both Eastland theaters were among the many smaller, out-dated Detroit-area houses which AMC shuttered during that year.