Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
From Cinema Treasures
Opened as the Bijou Theatre in 1910. The operators were Robert G. Peltier and Walter Trombley. This was the second location of the Bijou Theatre, which had been opened as an 88-seat nickelodeon by Peltier in 1905.
The second Bijou Theatre began as a 410-seat theatre, but was expanded to 800 seats in 1913. A major rebuilding taking several months in 1938 expanded the theatre to 1,200 seats, and it was reopened in September that year as the Jewel Theatre with George Raft in “Spawn of the North”. Peltier continued to operate the Jewel Theatre until 1942, when he leased the house to Community Theatres.
The Jewel Theatre was remodeled again in 1950 to plans by Detroit architect Ted Rogvoy. It continued to operate as one of Mount Clemens' two major theaters until the mid-1970’s. After a brief period as an adult film house, the Jewel Theatre closed. It remained vacant for some time and was finally demolished.