Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Birmingham's first movie house, known as the FAMILY THEATER, opened February 12, 1913. The architect was John Buckborough who lived near the northwest corner of Adams and Big Beaver Roads. The contractor was O.A. Young. Panels were decorated by Carl Gibson who at one time was employed by the DETROIT SCENERY CO. which had its studio on the west side of the Rouge Valley, a little north of Willits.
The stenciling was done by Robert Purdy of Birmingham. Gibson also painted the curtain which, according to the BIRMINGHAM ECCENTRIC showed that he was an artist in his own right. 300 People attended the opening performance. (Every one of the 286 seats must have been filled!) A minstrel show was presented which included comic songs, new jokes and funny sayings. The admission price was 10 cents.