This small Detroit-area chain was started by the Kershenbaum family. Its origins go back to 1937 in which they set up a small shop in the Hanna Building in Birmingham. They eventually moved to 166 (or 162 depending on the source) W Maple in 1950. They eventually opened in Grosse Pointe and the store did very well. In 1965, they set up a new store in Detroit at 1550 Woodward Ave in the heart of the old shopping district which by then was already diminishing due to Northland Mall in Southfield among other factors.
The company also opened up under the name "Peck and Peck", notably in East Lansing near yet another Kay Baum outlet. In 1967, they expanded to Ann Arbor on Liberty Street. They also announced a Dearborn outlet at that time. In 1968, they acquired the 3 store H. A. Marks chain of Grand Rapids with the plan of operating them under the Kay Baum name.
The Detroit store expansion didn't pan out and the store was closed in 1977, lasting only 10 years or so. Sadly by 1988 the last 3 stores were closed for good at Birmingham, Grosse Pointe and Oakland Mall in Troy. Through the years 5 Kershenbaum brothers worked at the chain. Meyer, Jack, Belmont, Leonard and Aaron. The concept was offering high fashion items at affordable prices and it worked well for many decades until stiff competition made it impossible to continue.