Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Designed by the famed architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp, the Birmingham opened in 1927. It was built for the Kunsky circuit, who opened two other nearby theaters that same year, the Redford and the Royal Oak. The theater's construction was delayed over a year because of the widening of Woodward Avenue.
Like most of the Rapp's theaters, it was designed originally in the style of the French Renaissance, and sat over 1250 in its auditorium. It once contained a Barton organ and featured vaudeville in addition to movies.
By the 60s, it was showing second-run fare, and when it was purchased by the United Detroit Theatres chain later in that decade, it was given a drastic modernization inside, ridding it of all traces of the original decor, though its facade remained intact.
In the 70s, it was acquired by the Plitt chain. Later in the 70s, the Birmingham Development Company took over operation of the theater, and remodeled it at a cost of $750,000 adding new seats, curtains, lighting and sound equipment to feature live stage shows in addition to continuing to screen movies. In 1979, the Birmingham was leased to the Nederlander Theatrical Corporation and Broadway productions were staged there for several years. In the late 80s, the Birmingham was carved up into eight small screens and returned to showing first-run features.