Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Located in the Highland Park district of Detroit. The Keith-Albee Uptown Theatre was opened on March 7, 1927 for Keith-Albee, the 3,500-seat Uptown Theatre was designed to as a sister theatre to the downtown Oriental Theatre. The opening movie was “Getting Gertie’s Garter” starring Marie Prevost plus 5-acts of Keith-Albee vaudeville.
It was originally a venue for vaudeville, but later switched to movies and contained a large organ. The Uptown Theatre was, like the Oriental Theatre, designed by architect of Percival R. Periera.
Renamed the 6 Mile Uptown Theatre (for its location at Woodward Avenue and 6 Mile Road in Highland Park) in 1954, the Uptown Part of the name was dropped five years later.
Starting in the early-1970’s, it switched from movies to live strip shows, and later that decade, pornographic films.
After it closed in 1980, plans were laid to convert the 6 Mile Theatre into a playhouse called the Eighties. However, this idea came to naught, since it was razed by the late-1980’s.
Contributed by Bryan Krefft