Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
AKA: Paris, Hiland
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Highland Park opened in 1915, designed by B.C. Wetzell, who also designed several other Detroit-area theaters, like the DeLuxe and Arcade. It could seat about 600 and may have originally been a vaudeville house before switching to movies sometime later. In 1967, it was renamed the Paris, and began screening adult fare. Three years later, it received another new name, the Hiland. Wayne County prosecutors fought to have the Hiland shut down during the 80s, claiming it was being used as a front for prostitution. Later in the 80s, the ?entertainment? moved from onscreen to onstage, when it began to feature strip shows, as the Fancy Pants. The old theater has been closed now for over a decade, and is now in an advanced state of disrepair.