Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened in 1935, the Art Deco Alger Theater could seat 1,182 in its auditorium. It was originally built for the United Detroit circuit, but was not long afterwards acquired by the Wisper & Wetsman chain, and later by Suburban Detroit Theatres. The Alger had its interior modernized in the early 70s. Its exterior, complete with the tower with the theaters name on it, was left relatively untouched.
In 1977, the Alger stopped showing movies and switched to live shows, for which a new stage was built. However, by 1983, it was screening films once again. During a screening of "Friday the 13th Part 5" in 1985, a riot broke out in the auditorium and a fire was set, which caused heavy damage to much of the interior, forcing the Alger to close down.
In 1987, the theater was purchased by a group called The Friends of the Alger, and restoration was begun to return the theater to its 1930s appearance. While restoration work has been ongoing, the Alger has reopened for live stage presentations. Its marquee may also be rented out for personal and business messages.