From Cinema Treasures
Opening shortly after the larger Dearborn Theatre, in early 1941, the Carmen Theater was another Art Moderne style movie house with an unusual gear-like dome over its lobby, rising three stories high. The theater’s name was spelled out in large, illuminated letters on the roof.
The Carmen Theater could seat 1,490, and operated as a movie house through the 1980’s. It is was last used as an auto parts store up until a few years ago before that was closed. It has since been razed and replaced by another commercial structure.