Source: Cinema Treasures
Although C. Howard Crane submitted early plans for the Avalon, it ended up being designed by the Chicago-based firm of Graven and Mayger, who only designed a couple of theaters in the Detroit area, including the original Mayan-Aztec inspired interior of the Fisher, lost to a bland 60s modernization. Built for the Wisper and Wetsman chain in 1928, the Avalon was fairly large for a neighborhood house, and sat nearly 2000. It closed in 1967 but its organ was removed. The Avalon sat crumbling away for almost another decade prior to being razed.