Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened by John Kunsky in 1911 as his first true movie house in Detroit, after several earlier nickelodeons, including the nearby Bijou (opened as the Cent Odeon), the C. Howard Crane designed Columbia could seat over 1000, and was located on Monroe Street, which was the city's first entertainment district prior to being displaced by Grand Circus Park in the late Teens and early Twenties. The Columbia contained a pipe organ and has its own house orchestra in its early decades of operation. It was closed in 1956 and has long since been demolished.