Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Initially to have been designed by C. Howard Crane, who submitted an earlier design, the Iris ended up being done by the firm of Mildner & Eisen, in 1916, instead. The theater sat around 880, and was initially a first run film house. It would later switch to second-run and double features before closing in 1954 due to declining attendance. From 1961 to 1962, the Detroit Theater Organ Club (DTOC) presented organ concerts at the Iris on the former Fisher Theatre organ while they were having the Senate rehabbed as their permanent home. After the DTOC left, the Iris stood vacant for a few more years before being torn down.