Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The National was opened in 1911 as a vaudeville house, and designed by Albert Kahn in a beautiful Art Nouveau style with Egyptian elements. The polychrome terra cotta facade is its most spectacular feature, with a large arched window, resembling a triumphal arch, and two minarets on either side, once topped by gilded domes.
Floral and other nature-based terra cotta decor, including stylized scarab beetles, also graced the facade. The interior could originally seat over 2200, and featured a large stage and simple but graceful decor. Within a few years of its opening, it switched from vaudeville to movies, and by the 40s and 50s, had become a burlesque house. In the 60s, it received a new name, the Palace, and operated as an adult film venue. It was closed in 1975.
Since its closing, the National, like so many of Detroit's old movie houses, has fallen into serious disrepair, both inside and out. Its facade still looks majestic, though, despite its boarded-up entrance and decrepit marquee. In 1998, a preservation-minded group called Cityscape Detroit went into the National to clean it up. There was consideration at the time of possibly renovating the long-vacant theater.