Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Colonial, which was, like so many other Detroit theaters, a work of C. Howard Crane, was opened in 1917, and originally could seat 1566 in its auditorium. The Colonial had both vaudeville acts and motion pictures on its program in its early days, but soon switched to movies-only. It was first owned, like the huge Hollywood Theatre, by the Cohen Brothers, and its original plans called for a nearly-3000 seat palace, with over 200 box seats. The Colonial was operated by Midwest Theaters from the 50s on, and operated into the mid-70s. Not long after it closed its doors, it was razed.