Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Senate opened in 1926 and its architect was Christian W. Brandt, who designed a number of smaller Detroit houses like the Times Square and LaSalle Garden, most of which have not survived. Remodeled sometime in the 30s in an Art Deco style, including a new facade and tall vertical marquee, the Senate continued to operate until 1958 when it was closed.
The former theater was acquired by the Detroit Theater Organ Society in 1963 who renovated it and reduced seating from 1200 to about 900. The Society moved the former Fisher Theater organ from the Iris Theater, where it was briefly kept in 1961-2, to the Senate. Since then, the Senate has been home to the DTOS, and features organ concerts. It no longer has its projection equipment, so unlike the Redford, which features organ concerts and classic motion pictures, the Senate is now a concert hall only.