Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
Built within the former Kirkwood Hotel on Cadillac Square, the Family opened in 1909. It began to screen films five years later, starting with the comedy "Tillie's Punctured Romance". The Family, designed by Fuller Claflin, could seat 935.
After decades as a popular first-run house, like so many other theaters, the Family switched over to pornographic features in the 60s, and created quite a stir, not so much for its films, but because it didn't change it's wholesome-sounding name. However, it did soon change its name, to the Follies.
In 1973, during a screening of "Deep Throat", the Follies caught on fire. However, as they fled the burning theater, some customers actually stopped at the box office to ask for their money back! The shell of the theater was demolished a couple months later.